Sunday, February 10, 2013

Supporting Gavin


My kind mother has taken some time to write a piece for the blog this week. She asked me to let you all know that for everyone who makes a donation by midnight next Sunday (Feb 17), she will donate $1 up to $150. My mother has already made a very generous donation to this cause, so this is a wonderful additional gift! Imagine if we can get 150 people to donate even just $5- that will add up to $900 including my mother's contribution!



"My daughter, Sarah, asked me to write for her blog and I thought, “what am I going to say?” To start with, I am so proud of her for being so passionate about a cause that affects everyone these days. And yes, I agree with her friend Anna (who wrote earlier in the blog) that she is crazy for running marathons. It is something Sarah loves and is passionate about, so I say “More power to you!” even though it makes my legs hurt just thinking about all the running and training that she does for it.


As I said, I am so proud of my daughter for raising money for cancer research. I was lucky. My breast cancer was detected from a routine Mammogram. I was told that the lump was so small that I would not have found it myself. Thank goodness for Mammograms! I had a lumpectomy and then radiation. This was two years ago.

Enough about me. The story I would like to share with you is a coworker’s story. Her son Gavin is 6 years old and has a brain tumor that was discovered in April 2012. Gavin has had 5 brain surgeries to date. Gavin calls his tumor “Joe Bully”. Part of this tumor is cancerous. I pray daily for the healing of Gavin. No 6 year old should have to go through what he has gone through. Gavin is an amazing little boy and such a fighter. This past week he started taking a clinical trial pill called Palbociclib. This pill has only been used on adults, but his parents fought to get it for Gavin because it has been shown to reduce and/or stop the type of tumor Gavin has. This pill is Gavin’s hope for survival. His little body just can’t keep having brain surgeries. I pray that this helps Gavin.

Now that Sarah has reached the $1,000 mark, please think of Gavin and his family (his Mom & Dad, sister, brother, grandparents) and imagine what they are going through. Let’s join together and raise money for cancer research this week in support of Gavin!! Please help Sarah and the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. I’m tired of cancer being a part of our daily lives. Let’s do something about it!! SUPPORT GAVIN THIS WEEK- PLEASE DONATE AND SAY A PRAYER FOR HIM!!!!"

Thanks, Mom, I appreciate all the support you have given me! You are the best and I wouldn't be where I am today without you!

As many of you may have heard, we had winter storm Nemo come rolling through Friday-Saturday. We received right around two feet of snow here in Boston and the city is hard at work today to dig everything out. This put a slight damper on training, however I made it out to complete 18 miles today! It was quite the adventure and a bit of a maze as roads that seemed to be plowed suddenly were a dead end. I have never run the steeplechase event, but I felt a bit like today was my own snow bank version of steeplechase! Of course, many fellow marathoners were out and about today. We all were waving and nodding to each other. I was able to run about 4 miles with another charity runner who was out doing a training run of the same distance- we found ourselves climbing the same mound together at the same time and chatted for a bit after that.  I was lucky enough to have the halfway point of my run be near my friend Jenna's apartment, where I was able to stop up quick to get some water, warm up and dry my socks as they had gotten soaked from the puddles and snow- thanks, Jenna!!

Here are a few pictures from around the area...

Onyx and I right in front of my apartment- yes, we are in the middle of the road :)

Weaving my way down the street

Beacon Hill

In front of my apartment at about 9pm Friday night

In front of my apartment Saturday morning


That's it for today- Please, please, please consider donating in support of Gavin this week. This is a wonderful opportunity to support a great cause especially with a great additional donation from my mother! Have a great week and stay warm!!


-S

No comments:

Post a Comment